As part of our ethos here at Glow Organic, we are dedicated to being totally transparent with you about what ingredients are actually in the products we sell. We select each of our products based on their performance, their ingredients, and the brands own ethics. We won’t sell anything that we believe to be harmful to your health or the environment. You can read more about our ethics here.
We decided to start this blog series in order to be totally upfront and honest about what you are actually putting on your skin. We want you to make your own informed decisions as to whether a product is right for you or not. There are SO many articles and scare mongering marketing tactics floating around the Internet, so we don’t blame you for being a little confused about what IS or ISNT safe!
The majority of the ingredients in ALL of our products are extracts from plants, flowers, trees and anything else that can grow in the ground. The world is full of amazing natural ingredients that Mother Nature has blessed us with. These ingredients have the amazing ability to heal, nourish and moisturise our skin. We should be taking advantage of what the world has given us, and not be creating cheaper alternatives that are potentially damaging to us in order to create more profit.
In the first post of our new blog series, we will be breaking down the ingredients of one of most popular products, the Couleur Caramel Lipstick range. These lipsticks contain between 95% and 100% natural raw ingredients, with 60% being sourced from organic farming.
Please note: The exact ingredients may differ depending on the colour and texture of a specific lipstick. We have included all the possible ingredients that are found in the range.
- Castor Seed Oil (Ricinus Communis) - Oil obtained from seeds of the Ricinus communis plant. A good emulsifier meaning it works as a binding agent to mix water with oil. Castor Seed oil provides essential moisturizing properties, will help to smooth skin and heal minor cuts and irritation.
- Rooibos Leaf Extract (Aspalathus Linearis) – Extracted from the Rooibos plant, which grows in South Africa, and is also used to make tea. This plant has been found to contain high levels of flavonoids, which are phytonutrients (plant chemicals) found in all fruit and veg. This gives this ingredient powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, meaning it will fight free radicals (the molecules that contribute towards ageing of the skin) and protect the skin.
- Candelilla Wax (Euphorbia Cerifera) – A vegan alternative to Beeswax, used as an emollient in cosmetic products. It helps to lock in moisture and protect skin from the elements. Makes lipstick easy to apply due to its smooth consistency.
- Asparagopsis Armata Extract (Red Algae) - Found to have amazing antibacterial properties, as well as moisturizing, healing and strengthening properties.
- Hydrogenated Olive Oil Stearyl Esters (Olive Wax) – Used as an emollient and offers nourishing properties, as well as helping to restore the skin’s suppleness. It provides cosmetic products with a non-greasy ‘slip’ and smooth consistency.
- Shorea Robusta Resin (Damar) – Damar resin is the raw material harvested every year from the Shorea Wiesneri tree found in Malaysia. This plant resin provides a protective barrier for the skin and is what makes these lipsticks so long lasting!
- Oleic/Linoleic/Linolenic Polyglycerides – Fatty acids produced from sunflower oil. Acts as a humectant to keep skin moisturized, and forms a film to protect and lock in moisture.
- Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) – Found in the nuts that grow on the Shea-Karite Tree in Africa. Packed full of vitamins A, E and F, which moisturises dry, chapped skin and penetrates deep into the skin to keep it hydrated.
- Olea Europaea (Olive Fruit Oil) – Extracted from the ripe fruit of the Olive Tree. It has huge benefits for dry skin due to its fatty acid content, which keep the skin hydrated and supple.
- Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot Kernel Oil) – Another ingredient rich in fatty acids! Excellent for softening and moisturizing the skin. It penetrates the skin easily to help retain suppleness and elasticity.
- Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed Oil) – Derived from the seeds of the Jojoba shrub, this ingredient is particularly beneficial in treating inflamed and irritated skin conditions.
- Pongamia Glabra (Karanja Seed Oil) – Extracted from the seeds of the Pongam Oil Tree, which is found in the Eastern Himalayas. It is known for its antiseptic properties and can be used to help heal wounds.
- Vinifera (Grape Seed Oil) – Promotes tissue regeneration, meaning it will keep skin looking younger for longer by minimizing the appearance of wrinkles. It is full of antioxidants, which help fight free radicals.
- Vitis Parfum (Grape Fragrance) – A natural fragrance extracted from grapes.
- Tocopherol - A naturally occurring antioxidant, which can be extracted from vegetable oil. A natural form of Vitamin E which promotes healing of the skin.
- Linalool – A naturally occurring colourless liquid found in many flowers and plants.
- May Contain:
- Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) - Although made synthetically, they are found to be extremely gentle and don’t cause problems for those with even the most sensitive skin.
- Ultramarines (CI 77007) – A pigment derived from the lapis lazuli stone.
- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) – Naturally occurring and used as a white pigment. Also helps protect the skin from UVA and UVB rays from the sun.
- Silica – A naturally occurring mineral that helps give lipsticks that matte texture.
- Carmine (CI 75470) – Not included in all lipsticks, but some may contain this natural red pigment, which is extracted from insects.
- Talc (CI 77718) – A natural mineral that has absorbent properties and provides a shine free finish.
- Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510) – Cosmetic grade and safe for use on the eyes, lips and face, used to provide a rich blue colour.
- Chromium Oxide/Hydroxide Green (CI 77288, CI 77289) – A green pigment derived from minerals.